Choosing luggage is not just about size and color. When picking out new luggage, be sure to take these things into consideration.
- Choose lightweight luggage. Most airlines have weight limits (usually 50 pound limit) for each piece of luggage you check-in. When shopping for new luggage, make sure that the frame is made of light weight construction such as fiberglass. Luggage that is made with heavier construction may end up costing extra fees at airport check-in.
- Zippers can split easily, and depending on what it is made of, can be costly to repair. So when inspecting the zipper make sure that it has been reinforced with a strip of cloth that will prevent fraying.
- All joints on the outside of the suitcase should be reinforced with leather, or piping; they act as shock absorbers for the case.
- When considering the fabric in luggage, look for nylon. There are two common types that is used in luggage and they are: Cordura nylon and Ballistic nylon. Ballistic nylon tends to cost a little more but is very durable. Cordura nylon will hold up pretty well too.
- Wheels are the most important consideration when buying luggage. If your current luggage doesn't have wheels, then it is time for an upgrade. A good set of wheels will take the misery out of lugging your suitcase around the airport. There are two types of wheels, Spinners (suitcases with four wheels that swivel 360 degrees), and In-Line (suitcases with only two fixed wheels). Spinners tend to make traveling a lot easier. You may have to spend a little more for spinners, but they are worth every penny. They make your suitcase more stable at a stand-still, and far easier to roll because you can push and pull the luggage in any direction. The In-line wheels roll beautifully, but your suitcase will tend to fall over when standing upright. No matter what you choose, just make sure that the suitcase rolls smoothly when testing it out.
- Affordable luggage can be found at discount retailers like "Ross, Dress For Less", "Marshals", "TJ Maxx" or "Burlington Coat Factory".
Whatever you choose, just be sure that it fits your needs and that you don’t settle for less than what you really want. There are so many good deals out there and so many different bags to choose from. Maybe you can ask a friend or family member to borrow theirs!